From January until July, I am serving a Knight International Journalism Fellowship in Ukraine. I am working with the Journalists' Initiative Association, based in Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine. We are helping promote a strong, independent media system, which we believe is crucial to democracy.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Something in the air -- pollen!



For a big city, Kharkiv has a lot of trees -- especially poplar trees (топол in Russian). For the past three weeks, those trees have been giving off cotton-like tufts of pollen. People call it пох (I think; they might be saying пах). It's everywhere: in the air, on the ground ... When I go running, it gets into my mouth.

Fortunately, we've had a little rain, and that keeps the stuff from floating in the air so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home