From January until July, I am serving a Knight International Journalism Fellowship in Ukraine. I am working with the Journalists' Initiative Association, based in Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine. We are helping promote a strong, independent media system, which we believe is crucial to democracy.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

A visit to the dentist (стоматолог)



A while ago, I chipped a front tooth, and I figured I might as well have it repaired here. Yulia has a good dentist -- she fixed a problem Selma had -- so we made an appointment.

The dental office was set up like a hair styling shop -- an open room with two dental chairs. No hygienists here; the person who works on your teeth is an actual dentist. (This will be a shock to many Americans. In Richmond, I get the feeling that my dentist is more like the honcho real estate broker who has agents doing the grunt but drops by at the end of the process to sign a piece of paper and collect a hefty fee.)

Dr. Lihochas worked on my tooth for about an hour -- it looks and feels great now. The cost: 70 grivni, or $13.84. That's about the price of two tickets to see Michael Moore's "Sicko."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home