From January until July, I am serving a Knight International Journalism Fellowship in Ukraine. I am working with the Journalists' Initiative Association, based in Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine. We are helping promote a strong, independent media system, which we believe is crucial to democracy.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Off to Kherson, on the Black Sea

I am heading to Kherson, a 16-hour train ride south of Kharkiv, to do workshops for two groups: the journalism students at Kherson State University, and the staff of the Новый День (New Day) newspaper.

For both of those audiences, I'll do a workshop on computer-assisted reporting. I've updated the printed and online resources that I'll use for this training and translated the workshop home page into Russian. (This will allow us to move faster, because the participants can click on links instead of typing Web addresses into their browser.)

For the journalism students, I'll also do a workshop on civic journalism. It's the first time we've presented this material since Selma returned to the States. Yulia will be assuming more of a training role as well as a translator role -- so I'm sure it will go well. The only thing I'm not particularly looking forward to is ... 16 hours on a train!

I plan to take pictures and post them when I return, so check back.

1 Comments:

Blogger i was quite impressed said...

Hi,
I stumbled onto your blog when seeing the referrals to mine (http://kharkov.wordpress.com), and was very impressed by the picture of Vulia!!

11:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home