From January until July, I am serving a Knight International Journalism Fellowship in Ukraine. I am working with the Journalists' Initiative Association, based in Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine. We are helping promote a strong, independent media system, which we believe is crucial to democracy.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Extra! Extra! Students publish 2nd newspaper!

At the Boiko School on Friday, we settled on a lineup of stories for the second issue of the student newspaper (the last issue for this school year). We also discussed which stories should go where:

* Front page: a preview of the "Last Call" musical performance (a show the students put on near the end of each school year) and coverage of the Victory Day observation

* Back page: a feature about the Boiko summer camp, a report from a party featuring a famous Russian DJ and an article about the Boiko kindergarten's fifth birthday party.

Over the weekend, the Boiko students sent me the final drafts of their stories -- in both Russian and English. Yulia and I copy-edited the articles, I did the layout, we proofed the pages and then we took them to the photocopy shop.

This afternoon, we will deliver to Boiko 200 copies of the Russian edition and 100 copies of the English edition. Here's what they look like. If you see any mistakes, keep them to yourself; I don't want to know. ;)


If you want a copy of the newsletter, e-mail me and I can send you a PDF.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home