From January until July, I am serving a Knight International Journalism Fellowship in Ukraine. I am working with the Journalists' Initiative Association, based in Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine. We are helping promote a strong, independent media system, which we believe is crucial to democracy.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Journalism and other fellowship in Ukraine

If a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, then the blog about the journey begins with a single word. In my case, it's Спасибо -- Russian for "thanks" -- to everyone who has made possible the six-month adventure I'm about to start in Ukraine. (I'm writing this blog entry on the plane to Kiev.) I wouldn't be here if not for:

X The Center for International Journalists, which selected me for a Knight International Journalism Fellowship.

X The Journalists' Initiative Association in Kharkiv, which is hosting me here.

X Virginia Commonwealth University and its School of Mass Communications, which granted me a semester's leave to pursue this opportunity.

X My friends and family -- and especially my partner Lorenza, my goddess of packing and many other skills -- for invaluable support and encouragement.


Where I'm headed, and why:

The Knight program has assigned me to work with the JIA in Kharkiv, Ukraine's second-largest city, in the eastern part of the country, about 30 miles from the Russian border. The association has an excellent track record of training journalists to do a better job of conveying news and engaging citizens. I will lend a hand however I can -- learning more than teaching, I'm sure, but providing guidance in areas of my expertise, such as new media and civic journalism.

I will be in Ukraine for six months. For the first three months, I will be accompanied by Selma Williams, who is living proof that great journalists never stop learning or sharing information. After a 30-year career in newspapers, Selma, who is a member of the New England Press Association's Hall of Fame, served a Knight fellowship in Ukraine in 1994-95. Since then, she has trained journalists in four former Soviet republics -- and is returning to Ukraine for a second Knight fellowship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home